Saturday, February 21, 2009

homecoming

We were finally able to leave the hospital today. I had to have my staples taken out and get taped back together. I was really scared about this all week, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. It was more like an uncomfortable pinching feeling and not the excruciating pain I expected. Ben weighs 6 lbs. 10 oz. which officially makes him the smallest baby I've ever been around. The pediatrician who did the discharge papers emphasized that he needs to at least be 6 lbs. 12 oz. at his weight check on Monday. I'm not sure what the "or else" was to that, but she was pretty serious about it.

Before we left, Ben smiled at Josh and I for the first time today! Granted, he was sleeping and it was sort of a half-smile reflex, it still counts. I was terribly excited.

On the way home, we didn't have the "oh my gosh, what are we doing?" moment. I think we were just so happy to be out of that grey dingy hospital room, that we couldn't think of much else. I was pretty medicated still, too.

Ben was way, way too small for the clothes we brought to take him home. I had been measuring so large, that we expected to have a huge baby. Apparently, he was just in a strange position and that's why I was measuring ahead. His clothes swallow him for now. I know that will change soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment