Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Political Response


Earlier this month I posted about my disappointment in statements from Cynthia Davis and her intentions to cut funding from the free and reduced summer lunch program. In an effort to support the current summer lunch program, I wrote several politicians and since then I have received some responses.

In my email to Cynthia Davis I shared some anecdotes from teaching in Springfield and expressed my feelings of the importance of the program. Little is accomplished when politicians receive hateful letters. (It might make you feel better, but it's not going to change any minds.) Cynthia Davis responded in a three sentence email stating that she appreciated my civil tone, my interest, and my perspective on this issue. She closed by stating, "We all need to continue seeking solutions that make a difference."

My local representative is Ray Weter. His son and I were friends growing up and he responded with some updates on his family and assured me that he would keep a close eye on the program to be sure that it would not be cut, but he did indicate that funding may need to be reduced some due to budget cuts.

A little back story to my political interest - My major in college was political science / pre-law. I worked as an intern for Bekki Cook when she served as Missouri's Secretary of State. I've seen every president but one who has served since I have been born. My husband is a campaign manager and has worked in politics since graduating from college. Because of all of those reasons, I strongly believe that individuals can make a difference in politics when we feel passionately about something.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

In related conversations, Congressman Roy Blunt (or one of his interns, most likely) responded to an email I wrote him regarding the Breastfeeding Promotion Act of 2009. The email said he "would keep my thoughts in mind," Hmmm...

On June 11, 2009, Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney introduced H.R. 2819. This legislation would amend the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to protect breastfeeding by new mothers; to provide for a performance standard for breast pumps; and to provide tax incentives to encourage breastfeeding. Currently, this measure is being considered by the House Committees on Ways and Means, Energy and Commerce and Education and Labor.

1 comment:

  1. I'm in awe of you. I dont' know how you find time to do so much. Maybe when we don't have so much dangling over our heads (like will be have a place to live come Nov. 1st) i will get on with some things myself.

    ReplyDelete