Sunday, August 30, 2009

Before and After Pictures, 3 1/2 Months After Surgery


When I look back to what Ben looked like before, I remember that baby, but I can't believe I never realized how different he looked from most babies. Today I picked up photos from Sears that I had taken a week prior to surgery. I wanted to remember how he looked before, but then kind of forgot about actually going back to Sears and getting the pictures.

Recently I have posted about how I am concerned that his head isn't better than it is. After looking at these pictures, I can more easily acknowledge that we have come a long way. I have written a few surgeons in other hospitals over the past couple of days, sharing these before and after pictures and asking for further opinions. Although we have made great progress, I am still hoping for more improvement. Particularly on the back of his head. From the top view, it is quite narrow too. It's hard to tell from the pictures alone, but looking at my adorable bowling-ball headed nephew that is about the same age, you can really see the differences.

My concern is with Ben being able to wear a bike helmet, play t-ball, or do anything else that he would like to do that involves a regular helmet. There is also the cosmetic factor, and I am just not sure how "normal" his head will look as a teenager, if he doesn't have any further change to his head shape. I also remind myself that we are so fortunate his condition hasn't negatively affected any facial features, only the top and back of his head.

I will be sure to post as I receive opinions from other doctors. We are still waiting to see what happens, and our next appointment is in October. It just seems like such a long wait to find out what will happen next.

The picture at the top of this post is from a week prior to surgery. Below are recent after pictures. For more before pictures, go to this post and scroll down to the bottom of the page.







3 comments:

  1. I know i'm not a doctor or anything, but i think ben is a cutie and i wouldn't think anything at all of his head shape now -- I did notice him looking different pre-surgery and now i would never notice anything.. i never would have thought about bike helments though .. i hope the doctors can reassure you! have you looked at baby pictures of you or hubby to see what your head shape was? i know my head was very odd looking as a bald-baby ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you know that there's a way to reply to your comments by email? you can check a setting on blogger to have them email you the comment. One of my blogger friends didn't know that and when she found out she was really mad because no one told her. she just kept replying on her blog and everyone had to go back and see if she replied or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Staci - Thanks, Our heads looked pretty round as babies (and now). It's really not that bad until I see another baby and realize how very different (narrow) it is - especially from the top or side. I think we're going to St. Louis in the next week or so to see what they think.

    Jill - I did know that! Otherwise I would probably never respond to comments. It took me a while to figure that out, though. So there are surely a few I've missed here and there.

    ReplyDelete