Monday, May 4, 2009

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle


This month I got to choose the book for book club and I picked Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. No one read it but me and one other person, but we now write "book" club with quotations, as it is more of an excuse to get together and visit as opposed to discussing a book.

However, I thought this was an incredible book. Barbara Kingsolver and her family spent a year eating only locally produced food - much of which they produced on their own small farm. She details the purchase of chicks, the planting and harvesting of asparagus, and the canning of tomatoes in great detail. She even includes seasonal recipes at the end of each chapter. Her teenage daughter and her husband also write articles throughout the book on cooking and the devestating truths of the food industry (similar to Pollan's claims in Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food.)

The website accompanying this book is also fantastic. There are links to finding your own local food sources, recipes, and gardening resources.

Reading this has been so encouraging for all of the projects we have undertaken here on our own little farm. I am really excited about our first vegetable harvest, canning this summer, and I can't wait until I collect the first egg from our hens.



--------------------------------------------------------------
By honest coincidence, Ben slept in his ducky pajamas and after nursing him this morning, I noticed we had the chicken cover on the Boppy, so I had to take a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment