Sunday, May 24, 2009

Coming Home From the Hospital

After only the third day after surgery, we were released to go home. Honestly, I was amazed. I agreed with everyone that our child was a trooper and seemed to be doing great. However, it's a little nerve wracking to think of our little guy with his head cracked like an egg, and we're capable of caring for him at home.

He will be wearing a hairnet sort of thing with some guaze under it for the next few days. They took the drain out and didn't do anything to close up the opening. We were told it will clot and close up on its own soon. We had to change out his gauze quite a bit at first, but it seems as though it's slowing quite a bit now.

We call the surgeon on Tuesday to find out about when he would like for us to bathe Ben again. He still has the antibacterial stuff in his hair and we were told it will wear off over time, but it may take many baths and a lot of patience. The surgeon does not need to meet with us again until June 15th. If we need anything, of course we can call, but from this point he will heal on his own.

I am doing better today with coping with the changes in his face and with sleep. From the day after he was born and we knew he would need surgery until now, sleep has been tough for me - even though he's been a pretty good sleeper (as much as can be expected.) Before that, I had a terrible time sleeping while pregnant. I feel like I haven't slept in a year. I napped this morning, for several hours this afternoon, and I'm looking forward to a night in my own bed. I am so ready to sleep. I've got a lot of catching up to do.

His scar is still pretty shocking, so I will save those pictures for another day. Here is the sweet baby sleeping with his hair net on.

1 comment:

  1. Are you feeling more confident now that you've been home a little while? When I was a teenager I was in the hospital for 12 days (broken hip) and I was so scared to go home - would my parents know how to take proper care of me? But once we were settled in, it was fine.
    Even I can see a difference in his head and face. That is amazing. A true modern medical miracle!

    ReplyDelete