Friday, March 13, 2009

ger

After days of very little sleep, I called the pediatrician and they said to come in with a list of his symptoms. Here was my list:
- trouble latching on / frantic
- arching back and neck when eating, then crying
- coughing / choking while eating
- spitting up after every feeding, sometimes immediate and sometimes 30-60 min later
- some forceful spitting up (a foot or more) with discomfort
- when laid on his back he arches his back and neck, draws up his legs, grunts, coughs, strains and does not sleep
- has only slept flat in his bassinet a couple of hours per night this week (rest of time sleeps while being held or napping propped up in his Boppy or swing)
- fussiness in late evening or overnight only
Over the phone, they said he probably has reflux but they wanted me to bring him in to make sure he's gaining weight (indicating the problem's not more serious). He now weighs 8 lbs 12 oz! So, weight gain is definitely not a problem. The doctor gave me a prescription for Zantac and I really hope it helps.

Here's a link about GER (Gastroesophageal Reflux).

After the doctor, we visited my school and the students and teachers were very excited to see Ben. I let the staff know I won't be returning to school until August due to Ben's surgery in May. I think even without his surgery I wouldn't want to go back to work yet. I'm already concerned about how I'll feel about going back in August, but I have several months to let that sink in.

Here's a picture one of the teachers sent me today. This is the my last day at school before I left for maternity leave. I was supposed to be dressed as a hippie for "mystery day" but that was a little hard to do given my size, so I just borrowed an old tie-dyed shirt from Brooke.



Here is Ben and I today at school.



We then went to visit Grandma Sherry at Bass Pro and run errands around town. Although I'm really tired, Josh is coming home tonight and I know that gave me a new burst of energy. I'm so excited he'll be home all weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment