Saturday, April 18, 2009

Babywearing

I am trying to decide what kind of sling or wrap I would like to use. I have a ring sling right now, but the fabric is way too stretchy and Ben shifts too much after a while. I'm thinking about a Moby sling, a Hotsling, a Maya wrap or just making my own wrap using a long piece of fabric. I can't really tell what the difference is between a Moby wrap and five yards of fabric. I've spent way too much time today researching my options and I still can't decide what I really want. There are some good deals on eBay, but I don't know what I want. I think I would wear Ben on the front most of the time and I want something I can nurse in, but I'm not sure how much I would really nurse with him in the sling. I also want something I can carry him in for quite a while. For those of you who aren't familiar with the types, here's what I'm talking about:

Ring sling (This is more like the one I have. I want a Moby because it would be more breathable, less stretchy, and easier to adjust than mine though.):


Hotsling (These seem like the easiest to use.):


Wrap (This is what I'm leaning towards because it's essentially a long piece of fabric. I also like that it crosses both shoulders. It seems like this would be easier on my back.):


and if I had $150 to blow, I'd buy a Beco Butterfly carrier:


I think for now, I'm going to keep an eye out at Children's Orchard where the first sling came from, and try to make my own wrap with fabric. There is a babywearing group in Springfield where I could try out different ones, but their next meeting is right around the time of Ben's surgery. We have a Snugli too, but it kills my back and I don't feel like I can get it tight enough. I brought my ring sling to LLL yesterday and I got some help getting Ben a little more comfortable in the sling. I also watched at least a dozen videos on you tube today about different ways to use a ring sling and we tried a few of them out while walking around the field and watching Josh clean out the pond.




I can't believe how many expressions and emotions Ben is already showing!

There is also an online contest to win a baby carrier here!

2 comments:

  1. I think the wrap is a good option because of the two shoulders and it is quite versatile. Watch the AP forum for carriers for sale. There are also the enormous forums DiaperSwappers and BabyWearing, where you can buy used. And if you're not picky about colors, you can often get a hugely discounted price directly from the company (like Maya Wrap and Ergo I know that's true). You can borrow my Maya for a couple months if you want to try it, and I have a Baby Bjorn that you are welcome to - much more comfortable than a Snugi (though I now prefer carriers where baby is not dangled by the crotch).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to look on DiaperSwappers until I heard about the potential for getting a computer virus. I'll look on BabyWearing. I might try out a few of your carriers next time I see you and see what I think. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete