Monday, April 20, 2009

Poor Ben

Ben woke up so happy today. Every morning from about 8am - 9am, he has his own happy hour. He is wide awake, talks and coos and wants to play. Josh and I hated taking him to get his shots when he was in such a happy mood this morning.


Ben had his two month checkup today. He weighs 11 lbs 4 oz. and he is 21 3/4 inches long. That puts him in the 35th percentile for weight and the 10th percentile for height. The doctor is not concerned and says his growth is fine. The doctor also supported my (unstructured) attitude regarding Ben's sleeping pattern and (lack of) routine. Other than that, Ben had reached all of the appropriate milestones and the doctor has no concerns of developmental problems now or after the surgery. Ben also received his immunizations. Today he had IPV (polio), Hib (meningitis), DTaP (Tetanus, Diptheria, and whooping cough), PCV (pneumonia and meningitis), and HepB (hepatitis B). He really didn't cry much. He squealed and squeaked as he was getting the shots (the pacifier helped), but as soon as I picked him up he was fine, and he slept for most of the day. As his Tylenol was wearing off he got a little crabby, but after the second dose he was really out.


I used my new wrap today as we ran a couple of errands after lunch. I would say it works well for short trips or for around the house and farm. However, after I took him out of it and put him back in later it was so stretched out I needed to take the whole thing off and tighten it, which is not convenient in a parking lot. I'm still very happy with it, but I still need a good carrying solution for shopping and running errands.

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe your baby rolled over at 2 months. wow. but hey if you didnt give him tylenol before the doctors visit, do it next time. we learned that the hard way. really helps to dull the pain. glad you guys are getting along well with the shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! I'm pretty certain the rolling over was a fluke, but still exciting. My sister-in-law had told me that advice about the Tylenol and I totally forgot until we were already in the waiting room. I also learned the hard way, that the dye-free Tylenol would have been a far better choice, as I now have pink stained clothes, burp rags and sheets...

    ReplyDelete
  3. the doctors recommended vitamins for ours, no clue why they decided to put dye in the darn things, but we learned to put down an old towel and swipe really quickly immediately after administration. Strangely enough, the tylenol seemed to always go down and the vitamins not. Although now she has come to expect it, and has recently started sucking out of the vitamin dropper. Guess that means she knows to swallow with something in her mouth. one step closer to 'real' food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vitamins? Are you breastfeeding, if you don't mind me asking? Our doctor hasn't mentioned that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes I am. and thats the reason why. they think because I'm not giving my baby tap water (with flouride) and of course the milk isn't 'extra' fortified with vitamin D (which babies in olden days got from being in the sun), that she should have vitamins. Dont worry, they'll tell you you need them too. Probably at 4 months. if not, then i'd be really surprised. Not to mention I take at least 1 if not 2 multivitamins a day to boost my own content so the vitamins and calcium dont leach from my bones.

    ReplyDelete