Monday, April 13, 2009

La Leche League


Today I went to my first La Leche League meeting. LLL is an international breastfeeding support group. Each meeting begins with an introduction followed by a guided discussion, then open to questions, followed by time to socialize. The discussion tonight was about toddler nutrition and everyone shared some great ideas for getting toddlers to try different types of food. It was based on The Family Nutrition Book by Dr. Sears.

During the question and answer time I asked if anyone had any experience breastfeeding with a child in the hospital or returning home after medical issues, but no one from the group had. However, one of the women already researched and sent me some articles to read about it because she wanted to make sure I had at least some of my questions answered. How awesome is that?

Beforehand I had some apprehension, believing these women might be a bit too extreme, but I was pleasantly surprised. I feel like I have more in common with them than not. I know that not everyone has a great experience with breastfeeding, but it has become a huge part of my life since Ben has been born. Being around a group of like-minded women is very encouraging.

Several of the other moms got my email address and some have already contacted me since I've been home from the meeting. I am glad I now have a new circle of people to go to with questions. There is an offshoot "baby wearing" group that I've also been invited to. I am excited to expand my circle. Moms need other moms.

1 comment:

  1. I love them! I'm so glad you had a good experience!

    ReplyDelete